The New Mexico Nursing Practice Act authorizes the Board to regulate a statewide program for the certification of medication aides and approval of medication aide training programs (Section 61-3-10.2 NMSA 1978). This page contains information about medication aide training programs for nurse educators, administrators, and those interested in establishing a training program at their facility. Information for medication aides may be found in the Applications section of the website.
- Agencies that would like to establish a medication aide program should review the rules for medication aides which may be found at https://www.bon.nm.gov/laws-rules/.
- Applications must be submitted no fewer than 30 days in advance of the next Medication Aide Advisory Committee (MAAC) meeting. MAAC meeting schedule.
- The Initial Program Application Checklist is a guide for required documents and the approval process.
- For more information about establishing a medication aide program at your agency, contact Nurse.Surveyor@bon.nm.gov.
- A program evaluation may include a site visit and will be conducted by BON staff prior to the program expiration date.
- The Medication Aide Program Checklist is a nurse surveyor tool that may be utilized to assist the agency to prepare for the program evaluation.
- An agency must submit its renewal application and pay the renewal fee prior to the program approval expiration date. Please review the MAAC meeting schedule and board meeting dates as your program must receive board approval prior to the expiration date.
Notifications of Change
- Nurse educators require New Mexico Board of Nursing approval. Complete the online request form and upload the following required documents:
- Registered Nurse Licensure verification
- Resume that includes current employment. -must have two of the last five years nursing practice experience
- Verification of attendance to the New Mexico Board of Nursing nurse educator orientation, if previously attended
Complete the online form to submit a notification of change of agency administrator to the New Mexico Board of Nursing.
Information about other changes requiring notification to the advisory committee or the board for approval may be found in the rules for medication aides, 188.8.131.52 NMAC.
Nurse Educator Orientation
Approved nurse educators for medication aide programs are required to attend an orientation presented by board staff. Agency preceptors and administrators are welcome to attend. The orientation is conducted via video conference.
2023-2024 orientation dates. All meetings are scheduled from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Wednesday, December 13
- Wednesday, February 21
- Wednesday, April 17
- Wednesday, June 26
- Wednesday, August 21
- Wednesday, October 16
- Wednesday, December 18
Nurse Educator Attestation Forms
An attestation provides verification that the student applicant has completed the program requirements. Attestations must be submitted directly to the New Mexico Board of Nursing by the approved agency nurse educator. Submittal directions are on the form. Attestations received from student candidates will not be accepted.
- Medication Aide I Attestation of Eligibility
- Medication Aide II Attestation of Eligibility
- Medication Aide I Attestation of Refresher Course Completion
- Medication Aide II Attestation of Refresher Course Completion
Program Forms and Templates
- Quality Assurance Progress Report – Medication aide I programs
- Quality Assurance Progress Report – Medication aide II programs
- Quality Assurance Progress Report – Medication aide I programs (fillable form)