The New Mexico Nursing Practice Act authorizes the Board to regulate a statewide program for the certification of hemodialysis technicians and approval of hemodialysis technician training programs (Section 61-3-10.1 NMSA 1978). This page contains information about hemodialysis technician training programs for nurse educators, administrators, and those interested in establishing a training program at their facility. Information for hemodialysis technicians may be found in the Applications section of the website.
- Agencies that would like to establish a hemodialysis technician training program at a facility should review the rules for hemodialysis technicians.
- Applications must be submitted no fewer than 30 days in advance of the next Hemodialysis Technician Advisory Committee (HTAC) meeting. HTAC meeting schedule.
- The Initial Approval Application Checklist is a guide for required documents and the approval process.
- For more information about establishing a hemodialysis technician training program at your agency, contact Nurse.Surveyor@bon.nm.gov.
- A program evaluation may include a site visit and will be conducted by BON staff prior to the program expiration date.
- The hemodialysis technician program checklist is a nurse surveyor tool that may be utilized to assist with the program evaluation.
- A program must submit its renewal application and pay the renewal fee prior to the hemodialysis technician training program approval expiration date. Please review the HTAC meeting schedule and board meeting dates as your program must receive board approval prior to the expiration date.
Notifications of Change
- Nurse educators require New Mexico Board of Nursing approval. Complete the online request form and upload the following required documents:
- Registered Nurse licensure verification
- Resume that includes current employment. Must have two years of recent nursing practice experience including at least one year of nursing experience in hemodialysis.
- Evidence of nine contact hours of continuing education annually in nephrology or have current national certification in nephrology or dialysis.
- Verification of attendance of the New Mexico Board of Nursing nurse educator orientation, if previously attended.
Information about other changes requiring notification to the advisory committee or the board for approval may be found in the rules for hemodialysis technicians, 188.8.131.52 NMAC.
Nurse Educator Orientation
- Approved nurse educators for hemodialysis technician programs are required to attend an orientation presented by board staff.
- Program preceptors and administrators are welcome to attend.
- The orientation is conducted via video conference.
2024 orientation dates. All meetings are scheduled 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Wednesday, February 28, 2024
- Wednesday, May 8, 2024
- Wednesday, August 14, 2024
- Wednesday, November 13, 2024
Nurse Educator Attestation of Eligibility Forms
An attestation provides verification the student applicant has completed the program requirements. The attestation must be submitted directly to the New Mexico Board of Nursing by the approved nurse educator. Attestations received from student candidates will not be accepted.
- Hemodialysis Technician Attestation of Refresher Course Completion
Board Approved Hemodialysis Technician Training Programs